See one of our Granny Annexes and Home Extensions being built on the TV show My Flat Pack Home. The show’s host Amanda Lamb presents our project from start to completion, from the foundations to the finishing touches. Our customer Shane, explains how he benefited from our help to add valuable space to his home.
The Granny Annexe will allow Shane’s mum to live independently in the heart of the family, she was especially delighted with her impressive large kitchen and other bespoke features.
Watch the video to learn more about our build process. Or if you would like to learn more about the design process and specifications please download the brochure
Flat Pack Annexe
The term ‘flat pack home’ or ‘prefab home’ has become a common way to describe a house that is built using a prefabricated process at our warehouse, before being transported and assembled quickly and efficiently at the construction site. Using a prefabricated process has many advantages, especially when considering an annexe or garden building.
Prefabrication has come a long way since the old often remembered ‘prefabs’ of the post second world war era, built as temporary solutions to a nationwide housing crisis. These-days, modern technologies mean that our prefabricated buildings offer excellent energy efficiency ratings. For a large Granny Annexe you might expect to pay as little as £250 per year for heating and £150 per year for hot water, even with current high fuel prices.
This is due to our use of structurally insulated panels or (SIPs) in our flat pack construction process. These panels are pre-fabricated in our own production facility in Bedfordshire, before being transported to the construction site. SIPs consist of an insulating foam core sandwiched between two structural sheets of oriented strand board (OSB).
What this means for our customers is a highly insulated building, that is fast to construct, causing the least disruption possible. In fact, many of our Annexes are built in 5 -7 weeks. This is often a key factor why our customers choose us, as families often would like to move quickly once the decision to build an annexe is realised.
Key advantages of a flat pack building
- SIPs constructed buildings are usually more energy efficient, stronger and quieter than a brick built or traditionally constructed building. This means for the occupant, no drafts in winter, great sound insulation from noisy roads, very low energy bills and a greener environmental footprint.
- SIPs are produced in our state of the art factory using modern methods, meaning that there is less waste sent to landfills creating a ‘greener’ building.
- We use OSB (Orientated Strand Board) in our SIP panels. OSB is manufactured from sustainably harvested spruce. This typically reduces the amount of timber by around 35% compared to a traditionally constructed building.
- The speed in which we can erect a SIPs building means that the savings are passed onto you.
- SIPs do not weight as much as other building materials for exterior walls, making them fast to assemble. However, SIPs are also noted for their high strength and resilience to more extreme weather conditions such as low temperatures, high winds and rain.
Once your flat pack home is constructed Granny Annexe will decorate and fit your kitchen and bathroom. We offer a 100% turnkey service meaning that your annexe will be perfectly finished by the time we hand you the keys.
One of the many reasons our customers are delighted with our service is the quality of finish we are able to provide. Flat pack homes these days are warm comfortable and homely. We offer our customers a choice of kitchens, with a selection of finishes, including a variety of worktops, sinks and cabinet colours. Our kitchens also come with high-end appliances, so you can be cooking in style and with ease.
Our bathrooms, shower and wet rooms come installed with a W/C and wash basin with a stylish vanity unit, chrome style towel rail and splashbacks. Standard wet rooms are tiled with non-slip tiles, with matching white tiles for walls and a glass shower screen or a chrome-edged sliding shower door.
We also offer our customers a range of upgrades and optional extras. This includes engineered oak flooring, underfloor heating, planning applications services and ramps and rails for improved access.
We can also provide decking or terraced areas outside your annexe, letting you connect your new home to your garden with style. Great for enjoying the summer!
Flat pack homes are now an extremely popular construction technique for new houses. You only have to watch a few episodes of Grand Designs to see how prevalent this building method has become. We offer our customers the very best in flat pack construction, with a personalised service from start to finish, resulting in a home you can be proud of.
While it’s fresh in your mind why not download a free Granny Annexe brochure